Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Internship

Since I haven't posted much on my role at ASOC up to this point, I thought I'd devote a short entry to the work that I've been doing.

A lot of what I'm working on right now is in preparation for Antarctica related meetings in 2009. Right now, I'm addressing letters to all IWC (International Whaling Commission) Commissioners to encourage them to develop a comprehensive Management Plan for a Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary at the intersessional meeting on March 9-11. It's not the most exciting thing to be doing, but I know that all work at a non-profit (no matter how mundane) is important. For more on whales in the Southern Ocean, check out this fact sheet (produced by ASOC of course!).

I've also been working on my big ongoing project: creating documents, slideshows, videos, etc. to highlight the important work ASOC has done over the past 30 years. The work on this project involves reading old files, scanning in old files/pictures, and communicating with ASOC employees from around the world. I tried to upload a video I created with this post but blogger won't let me. I'll see if I can't mess around with it a bit and get it up next time I post.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to the letters but I promise I'll keep you updated on my ASOC work along with my research on environmental ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment